Defining Church



Generation: (noun) (a) a body of living beings constituting a single step in the line of descent from an ancestor; (b) a group of individuals born and living contemporaneously. 

Grace: (noun) unmerited divine assistance given to humans for their regeneration or sanctification 

Words are so interesting, don’t you think? And now within an instant we can search for a word’s meaning, origin, synonyms, antonyms, and anything else we could want to know. I love finding the definitions of words for two reasons: first, I like to see all the many different explanations of the word; and second, I like to see where those explanations fall short. 

Take those two words up top for example. Yes, that’s a definition of generation, but don’t you feel like that word means so much more? It’s our people we are connected to, the ones we share memories with, the ones we understand, the ones others never will. And as a Christian isn’t grace so much more than divine assistance? It is a beautiful, underserving gift. 

And then you can put words together and get something even greater sometimes. Like “Generations of Grace.” That is so much more than individuals living contemporaneously that receive divine assistance. It is a home. It is a place to grow. It is a place to be loved. It is a family. 

Generations of Grace is a church for all ages seeking to worship God, grow closer to Christ, and make an impact on others. Our mission is to exalt God with our worship and lifestyles, equip believers to live out faith and pass it on, and engage in relationship with one another and with the community around us. 

One way we are hoping to engage in our community is through this blog. So, welcome to our first post. Thanks for reading! 

Each week someone from our church will share something that is on his or her heart - whether that be a sermon preparation, something noticed during personal Bible study, advice, or a story. We hope that this blog connects us with you and ultimately with God by providing a place for community online. 

And this week you’ve got me, Pastor Elizabeth-Anne. Hi! I’m one of the Associate Pastors, with a focus on children’s ministry and a heart for my community and my fellow Millennials. I began serving at Generations of Grace in July, and as someone newer let me tell you, I felt like part of the family immediately. 

Did you know you have to go to the fourth definition of family to find that it is also a group of people united by certain convictions or common affiliation? That’s only one before you get into definitions about chemical compounds. I understand why the whole family unit definition is first, but doesn’t Webster know families can be so much more now? 

Yes, a family can be your parents, your siblings, your aunts and uncles. But families can also consist of people you choose. Families now can consist of friends from college or work that you feel a strong connection with. In my case - and probably some of yours - it can also be a bit of both chosen and related family.

But a church family, now those are two words that when you put them together they make something spectacular. 

A church family, like ours at Generations of Grace, is one that brings you in, that loves you, that supports you, that helps you grow, and prepares you for whatever God may call you to. Our church family is one that encourages generations to learn and serve together. It is one that lifts each other up and holds each other close. It is an authentic group of believers, striving to be the church that we believe we are called to be. 

I am experiencing this all first hand as I prepare to preach my first sermon at Generations this Sunday. I’ve preached a few times before - I’ve even taken a preaching class twice - but this time feels different. Besides the fact that it’s not for a class or a grade, it is for my church family. The family that was so excited to welcome me in and let me learn how to do ministry. 

Yes, my related family will be there elbowing their way to the front to cheer me on as I take this exciting first step at my new church. But behind the rows of family who have supported me as a female pastor, will be my church family who gave me a place to practice and serve. As I stumble and take risks, as I (hopefully) relay my message, and as I prepare for the next sermon after, this I’ll have my church family supporting me too. 

Do you know what it is like to be loved by a church that so desperately wants you to succeed in whatever God has called you to do? Do you know what it is like to learn alongside different generations? If you don’t I would love for you to meet my church family. There’s a place for you at Generations of Grace. 


Generations of Grace: (noun) a church that welcomes you as family, offers you a place to grow, connects with its community, and desires to make an impact. 

                                                                  


Elizabeth-Anne Lovell is 
an Associate Pastor at 
  Generations of Grace 
      in Lebanon, TN.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

Stay and Grow

Fast Food Theology